Re: Spelling and Grammar in our e-mails

On Monday, March 10, 2003 7:02 PM, Hugh Haskell wrote:

What I meant was that putting the
brackets around a URL doesn't keep the URL from being broken if it's
too long, but, in a properly crafted e-mail application, it enables
the application to read the entire URL anyway. So the fact that there
is a line break in the middle of it doesn't make any difference, if
the brackets are there.

My mistake. I mistakenly thought that the link in my original message:
<http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0303&L=phys-l&F=&S=&P=12710>
did not work for others as well.

Despite the brackets, it didn't work in my Outlook and it didn't
work when I looked at the archived version (via Netscape/Explorer)
so I assumed it didn't work for anyone else. In the past, I *have*
used brackets and then received suggestions that I *should* use
brackets. I assumed that meant that no one else was able to see
the full link either. Am I not using the brackets in the correct
way?

I am glad that the brackets still work for most people. That way,
I can continue to include links like
<http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/03/03/offbeat.text.essay.reut/index.html>
and not worry about it (even though the link doesn't survive on
my screen).

Robert Cohen; rcohen@po-box.esu.edu; 570-422-3428; http://www.esu.edu/~bbq
Physics, East Stroudsburg Univ., E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301