Re: robust software

At 14:26 -0600 3/10/03, J Montgomery wrote:

Unfortunately not all of us have a choice of software
for use at work. At my school we are not allowed to
place additional software on any computers so I'm pretty
much stuck with Outlook. This also means I'm stuck with
the annoying "=3D20" tacked on at the end of my lines if
I'm not careful about hitting return every 60 characters
or so. I would gladly use Eudora if the option was
available to me.

Too bad that many IT depts seem to think that the only way to run a
network is to have every computer identical. It makes it more
convenient for the IT dept, even if it easily can become a nightmare
for the users. But as long as we keep our priorities straight and
recognize that the computer network is for the benefit of ITS and not
the users . . .

The totally uniform network has another useful function. It makes it
much easier for ITS to monitor what is on each computer to be sure
that nobody says or sees anything that they or the boss won't like.

Ain't technology grand?

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams