Re: Spelling and Grammar in our e-mails

| Michael Edmiston wrote:
|
| > Student writes: My data was pretty accurate.
| > I write: Subject and verb don't agree in number.
| > Student says: Why did you write this, there aren't any numbers in this
| > sentence?
| > I say: Data is plural and was is singular

What this basketball team needs is a "seven foot center". Who among us would
replace "foot" with "feet"?

A large part of the difficulty is that the presently accepted English language
is far from rational in spelling, pronunciation and grammar. But I agree that
the we might make a better effort at preserving what rationality there is.

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor