Re: Graphing Calculators and Intro Physics

Graphing calculators have been associated with improvement in understanding
of math concepts, but I don't think there is any published research that
shows they help students in physics. The most important research finding is
that computer based labs where the students measure the motion with sonic
rangers does produce an increase in understanding. And this is used in Real
Time Physics, Tools for Scientific Thinking, Modeling, and other research
based curricula. I am very doubtful about the usefulness of CBL/calculator
based labs because it is impossible to meaningfully view 2 graphs at the
same time. In addition the extra busywork needed to make them go may
interfere with understanding. The original paper by Heather Brasell showed
that a delay between the experiment and the graph presentation reduced
effectiveness to equivalent paper and pencil tasks.

If you have the students connect drawings (strobe or motion diagrams),
graphs, descriptions, and equations then there is an increase in
understanding. This does not have to be done using graphing calculators,
and may actually be better done without.

Just the act of graphing by itself is of doubtful benefit. However when it
is combined with meaningful questions, it may be very effective.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Tina Fanetti wrote:

Hello all

This pains me to ask, but do any of you incorporate the use of graphi=
ng calculators into your intro physics class? =20

Our department has 10 or so TI-92 and I was thinking that if I had th=
e students graph for themselves position, velocity, and acceleration =
it may make more sense to them. Also they would have a graph that th=
ey would need to interest.

Does this seems like a good idea? Obviously the implementation will =
determine if it is really useful but I thought it might be something =
to try. =20

Thoughts on how to go about this?

Thanks
Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429