Re: Graphing Calculators and Intro Physics

This is a bit late, but I think no one has pointed out (in this thread)
that most graphing calcs. also do programs. Eisberg and Lerner (Physics
-- foundations and Apps.) published "Numerical Calculation. Supplement to
Accompany E & I (Actually Eisberg and Peckham). Their text incorporates,
prominently, the results of such calcs. in examples with graphs and
diagrams. They include projectile, spring and pendulum oscillators
motion; RCL; drum head; molecules in a box; field lines and
equipotentials, inter alia.

The ed. I have is the first. (1981) so their examples apply to Ti 50=>59
(AOL or ANC), HP-34C (reverse Polish), and the TI99/4 computer (its
BASIC). I easily converted one of them to my Cassio and to True BASIC.

Unfortunately, these are only suitable for a "calculus based" class.

bc

Tina Fanetti wrote:

Hello all

This pains me to ask, but do any of you incorporate the use of graphi=
ng calculators into your intro physics class? =20

Our department has 10 or so TI-92 and I was thinking that if I had th=
e students graph for themselves position, velocity, and acceleration =
it may make more sense to them. Also they would have a graph that th=
ey would need to interest.

Does this seems like a good idea? Obviously the implementation will =
determine if it is really useful but I thought it might be something =
to try. =20

Thoughts on how to go about this?

Thanks
Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429