Re: California Science Framework

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Robert Cohen wrote:

It is a simple relationship,
expressed as V=3DIR, and embodied in high school Physics=20
Standard 5.b.

I won't comment except to point out that Physics Standard 5.b
(for grades 9-12) is "students know how to solve problems
involving Ohm's law" (from
<http://www.cde.ca.gov/board/pdf/science.pdf>).

I'm reminded of a tale a friend of mine told me. After graduating from
college and ROTC he chose to go to the Army electronics school. As a
pretest he was asked what are the three most important laws of
electronics. Well he thought about that a while and chose j=sigma* rho,
and Kirchoffs laws. As it happened what they expected was
V=IR, I = V/R and R = V/I

scary

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. 574-284-4662 Associate Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556