Re: Power Lines

Condor # 254 was the third from Big Sur to die from electrocution in less
than two years. AC (adult condor) 13 also recently died from gunshot
wounds. All condors are fitted with radio transmitters. PG&E (pacific gas
and electric) has been very cooperative in attaching visual markers to its
power lines where bird have been hit(sic). The Wilderness society is now
working with the electric company to prevent future deaths by tagging
additional lines in areas frequented by condors. After the recent losses,
78 condors continue to fly free in California and Arizona. Another 118
live in captivity including several that will be released in Baja
California, Mexico this Spring.

254 was found beneath a power line in Julia Pfeiffer State Park. "He had
serious burns on his left wing ..." I would hope so, it killed him!

Adult condors have a wing spread of almost three meters.

Max penalty is $100k and one year (AC 13)

bc

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

cost -- why insulate wires when air is good enuff.

here (PG&E land) the 220 lines (to the houses) are wrapped around the
uninsulated ground (return when load is unbalanced). The ground (steel,
I think) serves also as the support for the low strength Cu or Al.

bc

p.s. if your referring to my story, they were multi-kV. lines. I doubt,
except in inclement weather, 440 V. lines would electrocute a bird

"Carl E. Mungan" wrote:

Okay, time for what's probably a really dumb question. Why would a
bird touching two lines get electrocuted: Isn't there any plastic
insulation on ordinary electrical power lines? (I'm not talking about

cut