Re: Microwave Grapes

I just realized that my post below may imply that the arcing is not electron
emission from ion collisions, which requires rather high fields, but due to a
lower field acting on the vaporized metal created by Joule heating. Typical
electric welding is done with < 100 V supply. Once the arc is initiated, a 50
V / (a few mm) field is quite sufficient to maintain the arc.

bc

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

"Small spark discharges (relatively safe)

ï CDs (6-8 s). Electrons arc across thin foil
tracks and destroy the CD by vaporizing the
thin metal, constantly changing the discharge
paths."

[from Dan's first referred page]

I don't think so. The metal is a continuous film. This explains why arcing
doesn't occur immediately, but only when the Al has melted leaving gaps.
To verify, use a low power oven and fill with tall glasses of water. With
four glasses, mine only succeeds in warming the disk; with two and a half
glasses only after a half minute is there arcing.

http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/cdbasics/cd_specs.htm

Note: the tracks do favour heating along them, probably because of the
varying thickness of the polycarbonate, thereby changing the effective field
(k ~ 2), also the Al film's thickness may vary in the same manner. If the
film was instead foil (thickness, one mill), only a very high power oven
would succeed in melting the Al sufficiently to result in arching.

bc kitchen physicist by economic necessity