Re: Power Lines

Some time ago I read a story about some HT line workers who couldn't
find why their lines were shorting. Then one happened to see a very
large bird spread its wings and get zapped shutting down the line.

bc

J Montgomery wrote:

I've heard of a PBL that had a similar answer. It was
based around a case in which a sudden lightning storm
descended on a softball game. Two girls were standing
in the outfield, and the pitcher was on her mound. A
bolt of lightning struck between the outfielders, just
a few feet away from each, yet neither was seriously
hurt. The pitcher was killed even though she was much
further away. The students get to read the coroner's
report, look at diagrams, read statements from witnesses,
etc. Eventually they realize that the outfielders were
standing with their feet close together. The pitcher
had her legs spread wide apart. Again, it's all just
potential difference.

Julie Montgomery
Science Teacher
Warren Township High School