Thinking of buying some math software

I can't figure out exactly what software package is more useful. Actually,
I'm having trouble seeing exactly what they all can do. I was wondering,
out of those of you who use software (math or physics or what have you),
what you use, what you use it for, and what you would suggest to someone
investigating the situation. I was thinking it would be nice to have
something that would help me learn higher calculus, but would also have more
use after I go through my classes. BTW, what makes mathematica pro worth
$1,800????
Thanks in advance,
J Green
Humble Physics Student