Re: low-math astronomy jobs

Gary,
Thank you for the clarification. I was recalling the Clyde Tombaugh story
off the top of my head & found the link with a quick search, but was
thinking in the back of my head that the mule driver may have been someone
other than Tombaugh. The stories are similar in some ways. Mea culpa.
I've taught astronomy for several years (but not recently), and have
always maintained that astronomy and paleontology are the two branches of
science where the amateur community complements the professional community
in very meaningful ways. Amateur astronomers get much more "telescope time"
than professionals. Amateurs learn to know the sky very well and have
historically been more likely than professionals to discover comets,
supernovae, asteroids, etc. These are non-trivial contributions to
astronomy. Amateur paleontologists keep their eyes to the ground and make
significant "finds" for the same reason as astronomers...they're looking.
Unfortunately for paleontology, amateurs are likely to keep what they find.

Unfortunately for the former student in question, being a great amateur
doesn't pay the rent. If she has an education or web background, try NASA.
They have very extensive resources for educators in space science &
astronomy, and somebody has to produce & maintain them. There might be a job
opportunity there. Also, some entrepenurial types make good money going from
school to school putting on assembly programs. From what I hear, most
assemblies are pretty bad, so if one can offer a good and entertaining
astronomy program, one might be able to make a living that way.

Vickie

It is prohibited for anyone to disclose, copy, distribute the contents of
this message. Benedictine University does not review, edit or censor
E-Mail communications sent out through their System. The University
maintains and enforces policies regarding the acceptable use of its
technology resources. All messages express views solely of the sender,
which are not to be attributed to Benedictine University, and may not be
copied or distributed without this disclaimer.