Re: Beats: quiz question

"Drop the first-order
term because by Floquet's theorem, for a linear
system, the input frequency equals the output
frequency, and we will apply a low-pass filter...."

Just a sl. detail: Was I miss-taught that to obtain beats the mixer
must be nonlinear? e.g. the ear and diodes.

bc

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Mark Sylvester wrote:

I recall hearing (on this list, I believe) that one can detect
optical beats by illuminating a photodiode with lasers of slightly
different frequency. The beat signal is detected electronically.
Could someone recall the details?

In the general case, there's not much to add.

But let's look at a particular case that shows
why this is not just possible but important.

Illuminate the diode with two beams. One is the

cut