Re: Batteries and Capacitors

"However, this raises the price ($2 nine-volt battery) and of
course you probably won't know that the battery is dead until you have a
power outage. Some cheap clocks use a capacitor backup to power the clock
for a few seconds during a transient power outage. It is cheap and always
works but only handles those outages of a few seconds--the kind we seem get
all the time."

Rick, obviously hasn't been to Costco.

This problem, at a higher cost, is solved in computers by using a secondary
cell(s) i.e. NiCD / NiMH

bc

p.s. the current limit in tube amps was the emission of the output stage. For
high current transients 6AG7's were used. That tube was designed for radar
pulsing.

Rick Tarara wrote:

Others have offered the 'physical' differences between capacitors storing
charge and batteries, let me try and offer some practical differences by
citing some uses.

One is a current thread--flash bulbs. You need to drive a significant
amount of charge through the bulb in a short time to get the high intensity
flash. A battery can supply the charge--by converting chemical PE--to
charge up a capacitor with the appropriate amount of charge. The battery
(at least a small cheap battery) can't supply the current quickly enough by
itself, but if the bulb is put directly across the charged capacitor and the
bulb resistance is low, you can get a high transient current.

A digital alarm clock. Many DO have batteries to keep the time during power
outages. However, this raises the price ($2 nine-volt battery) and of
course you probably won't know that the battery is dead until you have a
power outage. Some cheap clocks use a capacitor backup to power the clock
for a few seconds during a transient power outage. It is cheap and always
works but only handles those outages of a few seconds--the kind we seem get
all the time. You'll notice that seemingly NO microwave manufacturer has
bothered to provide that convenience for their clock circuits!

Audio power amplifiers. The power supply of an receiver or amplifier can
usually keep up quite well providing the electrical energy needed to drive
the speakers. However, strong low frequency notes and very fast transients
in any frequency range can call for an immediate need for large amounts of
power. Good amplifiers have a couple of large capacitors (on the order of
3000 micro-farads--very dangerous by the way) to store charge to power such
large or quick excursions of the speaker cones. Even at 'ear damaging'
sound levels, most amplifiers are running at 1-5 watts average output.
However, a sharp transient or strong deep note can call for 100-1000 watts
for several milliseconds. The capacitor is a good solution to this problem.

fwiw

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Friction & Work lab simulations.