Re: Telescopes - Diffraction limit

I haven't been able to follow the below, so my comment may be redundant.

Jenkins and white (3rd. Ed. pp 304 ff.) point out that there is a min.
eyepiece magnification for the resolution of the objective to be
realized. i.e. the exit pupil must be equal or smaller than the eye's
pupil. The "normal" magnification is when the ocular's pupil diameter
is equal to the eye's in the formula: M = D/d (D is diameter of
objective pupil, d is ocular's.) D/d(eye) = [1.22 lamda/d(eye)] / [1.22
lambda/D] = theta(prime) / theta. Thus if d (exit pupil) is made >
d(eye), then theta(ocular) will be < theta (eye) and the images will
cease to be resolved by the eye even thought resolved in the focal plane
of the objective. This explains why my Celestron instruction manual has
a min. ocular magnification in addition to the (obvious) max.

bc

John Mallinckrodt wrote:

Without working through this carefully, my first
thought is that the angular separation is what is
involved in the deification limit. The primary
mirror or lens has increased the angular
separation viewed by the eyepiece.

God or no God, I think Roger is right here. The angular
magnification of the scene provided to any element in the optical
system is

M_ang = f_obj/f

where f_obj is the focal length of the objective lens and f is the
focal length of the element. The angular resolution of the system
should, therefore, be determined (primarily) by that of the weakest
link after correcting for the angular magnification factor for that
link. That is

angular resolution = maximum[(1.22 lambda/f_obj)*(f/D)]

where the expression in brackets is evaluated for each element using
its focal length f and diameter D.

For instance, in the case of a telescope with a 150 mm aperture
operating at a power of 50, the eyepiece would need to be at least 3
mm in diameter to prevent it from degrading the angular resolution.

--
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajm@csupomona.edu