Re: Ohm's 'law' & minus sign

----- Original Message -----
From: "John S. Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: Ohm's 'law' & minus sign

The usual form of Ohm's law is delta V = R I, with
everything a scalar.

Apparently it is conventional to define
delta V := -L Del V
which can be thought of as an instruction as to
where you put the red lead and where you put the
black lead of the voltmeter.

This is correct, no doubt.
But everytime I discuss the topic of Ohm's law, some
student gets uneasy with the "usual form". I am very
strict with every Delta-something we happen to write
in our five years course, so they feel we are making
some trick here. And I think they're right, after all.
If we follow the circuit along with the current, we
meet the higher potential before the lower one. If
Delta V is to mean V(x+dx)-V(x), it seems to me that
if we see a positive current, we see also a negative
Delta V. This way, Kirkhhoff rule is also easier.

Please, forgive my poor English.

Paolo Cavallo