Re: Ohm's 'law' & minus sign

At 5:31 PM -0500 2/10/03, Bob LaMontagne wrote:

Chuck Britton wrote:

I remember this from some circuit theory texts - sorry, no longer in my
personal library. The idea is that the conventional current runs from
regions of high potential to low potential, giving delta V = -Ri. The
form of Ohm's law relating current density and field does not need the
negative sign because the conventional current density responds directly
to the field.

YES! This is EXACTLY what I'm trying to figure out.

This delta V is a SPACIAL delta rather than a temporal (final -
initial) isn't it?

(ANOTHER use of delta is to mean an infinitesimal - or at least small - amount)