Re: HS physics course titles

Perhaps, if David's administration people read this thread, it might convince
them to retain "Conceptual".

Furthermore, if one of the more elite public universities uses that term,
does not that make a HS administration a bit presumptuous when denigrating
the term?

http://eres.ucsc.edu/coursepage.asp?cid=630

Note the use, also, of "Elementary Physics".

http://ic.ucsc.edu/courses/#P

bc

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

I suggest DESCRIPTIVE PHYSICS for the course using Hewitt's conceptual
book
and QUANTITATIVE PHYSICS for the course that includes more algetra and
trig.

I guess it's all a matter of local custom and culture - but the term
DESCRIPTIVE indicates "really dumbed down" in my region - Rhode Island.
Descriptive astronomy and descriptive geology are our "name that planet"
and "name that rock" courses.

We have also spent a long time developing a rigorous course for
non-science majors. However - when naming the course - we deliberately
used the title CONCEPTUAL physics. The chemistry department has a similar
course using the word conceptual in the title. Students, and their faculty
advisors, don't perceive the course as any easier than our General
Physics, just a different mode of analysis.

I'm not sure exactly why the administration in David Strasburger's school
find the word "conceptual" that demeaning - I don't think that renaming
the course will not result in someone, somewhere, belittling whatever name
is chosen simply because the letters AP aren't present.

Bob at PC