Re: Capacitor energy experiment

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

David Rutherford wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, the experiment you're describing is old hat.
There's nothing new to be discovered doing the experiment your way. If
I'm incorrect in assuming that your way is the same old thing, please
explain to me why it's not.

Just curious. If the described experiment (Kowalski), and the myriad of
others proposed on this thread, all give 1/2 CV^2 for the energy stored in
the capacitor - and then a new, experiment (never before tried) is
proposed that ends up giving twice that amount of energy - what do you now
do?

a) Trash the old theory - because it disagrees with a new experiment -
regardless of the fact that it agrees with thousands of others that have
been independently confirmed by many people? (i.e. if they're "old hat"
experiments they can't be of much value)

I thought that was the rule. It doesn't matter how many experiments the
old theory agrees with; if it disagrees with _one_ experiment, it's
toast. Newtonian theory agreed with thousands of experiments until it
was proved to be wrong in relativistic cases.

My equation Ed = Ei - Ec agrees with the Kowalski experiment, assuming
his way of doing it is the usual method of charging through a resistor
in which the energy dissipated by the resistor in the charging of the
capacitor is 1/2 CV^2. My equation, in the case where Ei = QV and Ec =
1/2 CV^2, would give

Ed = QV - 1/2 CV^2

or, since Q = CV

Ed = CV^2 - 1/2 CV^2 = 1/2 CV^2

which is the usual result for the energy dissipated by the resistor in
the discharging of the capacitor and, therefore, the energy stored on
the capacitor. But if the energy dissipated during the charging of the
capacitor can be made to be less than 1/2 CV^2, I predict that Ed will
be greater than 1/2 CV^2. Conventional theory predicts that, whatever Ec
is, Ed will be 1/2 CV^2, even if Ec is zero. In that case, conventional
theory will have to explain where the extra 1/2 CV^2 went to, whereas my
equation predicts that if Ei = QV and Ec = 0,

Ed = QV - 0

or

Ed = CV^2

All energy is accounted for, in my equation, but not in conventional
theory.

b) Question the new experiment to see if the logic is correct or that the
experiment really gives what you think is a true measure of energy in the
capacitor.

Sure. First validate the logic of the new experiment and the meaning of
its results.

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"

Applications:
"4/3 Problem Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf
"Action-reaction Paradox Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/actreact.pdf
"Energy Density Correction"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/enerdens.pdf
"Proposed Quantum Mechanical Connection"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/quantum.pdf