Re: Capacitor energy experiment

Wrong! It's dielectric absorption.
http://www.audience-av.com/on_capacitor_dielectric_material.htm

However, there is a relaxation time associated with the free charges that
must diffuse to the plates to pose the danger of shock. Harnwell (Oh! I
love Harnwell) devotes > one p. to this. He derives the time. For mica
and petroleum oil it's ~ 2 sec. Polyethylene, a few hours.

bc

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Early electrolytics were constructed of Al foil and an electrolytic that
cause an Al2O3 film (anodize) when the cap. is formed by charging. (AC
will result in a nonpolar cap.) Since the plates are not of the same
material (polarized cap.) and they are connected by a conducting fluid,
I expect that they make a chemical cell. Not surprising they are a
"battery". I don't know about contemporary caps. [I made them using
baking soda. If one uses an Al plate and a carbon rod in NaH2Co3? soln.
the result is a high current rectifier.

Some of the large storage caps (> 1 kV) are marked keep shorted when not
in use. I think the term is relaxation (of the dielectric). I've never
heard of this for electrolytics, but it doesn't surprise me. They leak
so much that it's not an ever present danger as with high Q high V

cut