Re: Capacitor energy experiment

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

About a week ago I suggested the following
student-oriented problem:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"By how many degrees will the water temperature
change if a C=10 F capacitor is charged from a
3 volts battery and then discharged through a
resistor R immersed in 50 grams of water? Assume
the procedure is repeated twenty times. The mass
of the resistor and the mass of the styrofoam cup
are negligible. Heat received by connecting wires
can be ignored because their resistance is much
smaller than R.

Is the capacitor _charged_ through a resistance. If so, that's not what
I'm proposing, unless the energy dissipated through the resistance can
be made arbitrarily small (i.e., less than 1/2 CV^2), which apparently
it can't be for the circuit I'm proposing. I was thinking more along the
lines of charging the capacitor in a superconducting environment, so
that there is no resistance (maybe the battery could be outside the
superconducting environment). Measure whatever energy is dissipated as
heat or otherwise and then discharge the capacitor through a resistor
outside the superconducting environment.

You might be able to use John Denker's methods of charging the
capacitor, that he referred to recently, in which the energy dissipation
during charging can be made arbitrarily small.

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"

Applications:
"4/3 Problem Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf
"Action-reaction Paradox Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/actreact.pdf
"Energy Density Correction"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/enerdens.pdf
"Proposed Quantum Mechanical Connection"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/quantum.pdf