Case Studies in Science Summer 2003 Workshop Announcement

CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR CASE STUDIES IN SCIENCE SUMMER WORKSHOP
Sponsored by the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science
with support from The Pew Charitable Trusts

Workshop Dates: May 12-16, 2003
Workshop Location: State University of New York at Buffalo
Application Deadline: March 7, 2003

Online Application Form:
http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/workshop/regis.html

This five-day workshop focuses on training science faculty to teach with
case studies and to write their own cases. The final two days, workshop
participants teach a case before a student audience using a case they have
developed during the workshop or one from our case study collection.
Participants in the workshop are also expected to produce a case study
within six months of the workshop for our national, peer-reviewed science
case collection, with consideration for publication in the _Journal of
College Science Teaching_.

Participation in the workshop is by application only. Our grant funding
allows us to cover all meals (including dinners) beginning with breakfast
Monday through lunch on Friday. Travel expenses and lodging are not
covered. In addition, there is a non-refundable $75 fee per participant
to help defray the costs of materials including the workshop workbook.

WORKSHOP SCHEDULE:

Monday
8:00 a.m. Registration
8:30 a.m. Welcome and Overview: What Do We Know About Cases?
What Do We Need to Know?
9:45 a.m. Teaching a Case Using the Discussion Method
12:00 p.m. Lunch
1:00 p.m. Analyzing the Case Study Process
2:00 p.m. Writing Your Own Cases, Part I

Tuesday
8:30 a.m. Using Small Groups in Case Work: Interrupted Cases,
Problem Based Learning
12:00 p.m. Lunch
1:00 p.m. Team Learning Using Cases: A Revolution in Teaching
3:00 p.m. Writing Your Own Cases, Part II

Wednesday
8:30 a.m. Types of Cases and How to Teach Them: Presentations by
"Veteran" Case Method Teachers in Different Science Disciplines
12:00 p.m. Lunch
1:00 p.m. Writing Your Own Cases, Part III

Thurs & Fri
9 a.m.- 4 p.m. Practice Teaching Sessions: Teaching Your Own Cases

WORKSHOP DIRECTOR - Workshop Director Clyde F. (Kipp) Herreid is a
Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Biological Sciences Department and
Academic Director of the University Honors Program at the State University
of New York at Buffalo. He has conducted numerous workshops around the
country on case method teaching, team learning, and problem-based
learning. He is the author of a column on case studies regularly featured
in the _Journal of College Science Teaching_ and Director of the National
Center for Case Study Teaching in Science.

APPLY ONLINE AT:
http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/workshop/regis.html

Application Deadline: March 7, 2003

Questions: Contact Rebecca Metcalf, Workshop Coordinator, National Center
for Case Study Teaching in Science, rmetcalf@buffalo.edu, 716-645-2947
x272 or Nancy Schiller, Co-Director, National Center for Case Study
Teaching in Science, schiller@buffalo.edu, 716-645-2947 x225.

******************

Nancy Schiller
Co-Director
National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science
228 Capen Hall
University at Buffalo
State University of New York
Buffalo, NY 14260