Re: FW: politeness etc.

Dan M. wrote in part:

. . .
Traditional university physics culture (especially graduate study and
research) has embraced the often-hostile, cutting "legal
advocacy-style" debate of ideas and usually neglects the interpersonal
relationship side of interactions. Traditional physics culture is
almost certainly responsible for creating a lack of particular
populations -- like women and African-Americans in the field; they're
staying away in droves. Physics continues to pay a high
price for this
traditional culture. Some of us want this culture to change, and we
are working very hard at change. (AIP even reports that there
are fewer
than 1% minorities in _HS level_ physics teaching.)
. . .

I found some aspects of the above paragraph rather troublesome. In
particular there seems to be an implication that African-Americans and women
(in general, not in particular) can not succeed in competitive environments.
(which I doubt was intended by Dan). Nor does it explain the success of
Asians in Physics that come from cultures not particularly noted for their
confrontational style of social interaction.

While the concerns expressed are no doubt real, I don't believe that the
problem or its solution are well served by such a simplistic model of
"traditional physics culture".

Joel R.

PS

Incidentaly, the most recent Physics Today has an OP-ED piece regarding this
topic.