Re: a link to some interesting illusions

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
I still have a question about "yellow is a mixture of
green and red light". I agree that the perception
of yellow CAN BE a mixture of green and red light but
couldn't yellow also be "just yellow" (i.e., a single
frequency that excites the red/green cones in just
the right way for us to perceive yellow)?

I would agree with your assertion that there is spectral yellow and the
yellow produced by properly mixing red and green lights.

Are our cones really in red, green and blue or are they all the same
responding to the energy of the photons letting the brain do the rest?

Is magenta really purple? Why do folks use violet and purple almost
interchangeably?

I am color blind ( to a degree) and always have trouble teaching this
concept.

Ken Fox