Re: Venus?

I think Velikovsky's idea was that Venus was somehow ejected from Jupiter,
bounced around the solar system for a while, then settled into its present
orbit. Presumably at some point Venus approached Earth and exerted its
mysterious torque, then left. I suppose conservation of angular momentum
would let Earth start rotating again.

If I recall correctly, he also ties this into the rain of manna and several
other biblical stories.

Michael Burns-Kaurin
Spelman College

paul johnson
<pjohnson@SCIENCE To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
PLACE.ORG> cc:
Sent by: Forum Subject: Re: Venus?
for Physics
Educators
<PHYS-L@lists.nau
.edu>

01/31/2003 09:41
AM
Please respond to
Forum for Physics
Educators

How would the sudden appearance of Venus in a nearby orbit exert a torque
on
Earth to change its rotation rate?

What would exert the torque necessary for Earth's rotation rate to return
its pre-Venus value?

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place