High-school curriculum changes

Several factors compel me to address (again) the structure of the
physics curriculum at Bear Creek High School (a suburban high school
comprising students who are, on average, slightly above the
socioeconomic mean):

* Increased enrollment in first-year, algebra-based physics

* Decreased mathematical competence on the part of students
enrolled in
first-year, algebra-based physics

* 10-15% of students (regardless of first-semester performance)
dropping the
class before the beginning of second semester

Given the difficulty that an increasing number of students have with
rearranging equations, solving simultaneous equations, and general
(mathematical) problem-solving instinct, I am seeking opinions regarding
a possible solution:

* Teach the physics course "back-to-front", beginning the year
with
"traditionally second semester topics" such as waves and
sound, light,
electricity, and magnetism, and teaching mechanics in the
second semester.
[Challenging mathematical topics, such as vectors and elastic
collisions, would
then be introduced after students have had at least one full
semester of
second-year algebra, while topics which are taught with much
less algebra
would be introduced in the first semester. Also, "second
semester topics"
tend to be more interesting to students (more "flash",
making for better
advertising to the next year's enrollees (we register for
the upcoming year
three weeks into the spring semester.]

Discussion regarding the merits of this proposal is most welcome.