Re: Salt Lake City?

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 11:02 AM, Wolfgang Rueckner wrote:

There was an article on real cats entitled "The Tail-less Cat in
Free-Fall" by J.E. Fredrickson in the November 1989 issue of TPT, pp
620-625. Wolfgang

There was an article in The Physics Teacher, perhaps ten years
ago, about a mechanical model of a cat dropped in the legs-up
position. The cat always manages to land in the legs-down
position. The author was from Salt Lake City; his name was
something like Gali (?). I no longer store old issues of TPT. If
somebody has them please help me to find his name and the
address of his school. Thanks in advance,
Ludwik Kowalski
kowalskil@mail.montclair.edu

Galli, J.R. (1995, September). Angular momentum conservation and the
cat twist. The Physics Teacher, 33(6) 404-406.

Ludwik, your UT author is John Ronald Galli of Weber State in Ogden,
UT. I actually have his paper on my desk, 'cause it's neat and he
presented at AAPT in Boise, ID this past summer. But you can search
these things out online...

...check out <http://ojps.aip.org/tpt/>; I searched on "cat" under "all
abstracts" and came up with that and other articles like Fredrickson's
article below.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SCIE BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave , Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>