Re: There's work, and then there's work

David Rutherford wrote:

We are talking about quasi steady state currents. There is no net
Transverse current.

I never said there was. The net motion in the transverse direction is
zero, but the net heat rise in the water due to the transverse
components of the motion is not zero.

The focus is on measuring the energy stored in the capacitor. This is done by
discharging it - giving a dq/dt, which is the current. This is the current used
in calculating the i^2 R heating in the resistor. When the experiment is over,
the energy in the capacitor is zero, and there has been a rise in the
temperature of the water. The mass of the water times the specific heat of water
times the temperature rise is numerically a measure of the energy previously
associated with the capacitor. It's that simple.

Bob at PC
P.S. I hope the group is not becoming annoyed by the continuation of this
thread. I assume those not interested are hitting their delete keys. If this is
burdensome for those who read the list from archives, we can take this off list
if you'd like.