Re: There's work, and then there's work

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

David Rutherford wrote:

You are attempting to count the same result twice.

No I'm not. I'm attempting to count the energies resulting from the
transverse component of the motion (calorimeter experiment) and
longitudinal component of the motion (current experiment), separately,
then adding them together. Each experiment, individually, gives only
half of the total energy. In the calorimetric experiment, the
contribution of the longitudinal motion to the energy is discounted, and
in the current experiment, the contribution of the transverse motion to
the energy is discounted.

Transverse Current????

Where did I ever say anything about a "transverse current"? I admit
that, sometimes I may not be using the correct terminology, but I never
said that. The motion of the particles inside the circuit, is not
strictly in the longitudinal direction. There's a _net_ movement in the
longitudinal direction, but there is movement in all directions. I was
referring to the transverse and longitudinal _components_ of the overall
motion. Maybe what I should have said was

"In the calorimetric experiment, the contribution of the longitudinal
[component of the] motion to the energy is discounted, and in the
current experiment, the contribution of the transverse [component of
the] motion to the energy is discounted."

The velocities of the particles inside the circuit have components in
both the longitudinal and transverse directions. However, the current is
due only to the longitudinal component of the motion, and the heat rise
is due only to the transverse component of the motion.

We are talking about quasi steady state currents. There is no net
Transverse current.

I never said there was. The net motion in the transverse direction is
zero, but the net heat rise in the water due to the transverse
components of the motion is not zero.

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"

Applications:
"4/3 Problem Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf
"Action-reaction Paradox Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/actreact.pdf
"Energy Density Correction"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/enerdens.pdf
"Proposed Quantum Mechanical Connection"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/quantum.pdf