Re: satellite photo showing nightfall

I believe that it's an artificially-generated image, not an enhanced
satellite image (though generated from satellite data). There is
absolutely no cloud cover anywhere, which I suppose is not
impossible, but seems highly unlikely. Features on the ocean floor,
such as the mid-Atlantic ridge, are visible. That would not be
possible in an optical image. I don't know what kind of dynamic
range most satellite images possess, but generally city lights and
gas flares in the Sahara would require a much deeper exposure than
regions in daylight.

Please have a look at this photo of nightfall over central Europe
that was sent to a friend of mine by a former student who is now in
Navy satellite imagery. Can anyone tell me if this is a single image
or one that was pieced together using a number of images and then
visually enhanced?

http://www.siu.edu/~cafs/download/Sunset.jpg

Stephen D. Murray
Physicist, A Division