From: Bernard Cleyet [mailto:anngeorg@PACBELL.NET]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 11:27 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: CAT was Re: Salt Lake City?

I forgot to mention that, when very young -- before I
understood angular
momentum (do I yet?) -- I experimented on our cat. I found
(memory) that
only a few inches were necessary for the cat to successfully
land on her
feet. I held the forepaws with my left hand, etc.

Just tried this on our adolescent cat, Toc. Can't find our
arthritic one,
Xochitl.

report later.

For a diagram, page search: cat;
http://web.hep.uiuc.edu/home/g-gollin/dance/dance_physics.html

bc

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I remember a "Scientific American" article on this. My
search resulted
immediately in a more recent discussion.

http://www.wonderquest.com/cat-falling.htm

bc who will attempt to find the article he remembers

p.s. he remembers the article, as above does, discussed the
problem of
conservation of angular momentum.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

There was an article in The Physics Teacher, perhaps ten years
ago, about a mechanical model of a cat dropped in the legs-up
position. The cat always manages to land in the legs-down

cut