Re: W+Q deprecated

>Let me chime in here: Can _you_ give an example or two where the First Law
>as stated _is_ helpfully applied? -- ie a process where Q and W are both
>present _and_ are both identifiable? _Except_ of course the ubiquitous
>adiabatic cylinder and piston

Okay. I've got a gas of magnetic atoms. I slowly change the current
which flows both through a set of Helmholtz coils around the gas and
an electrical heater immersed in the gas.

Is the deltaE due to Q or W? How would you know?

Is deltaS=Q/T? How would you know?

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen