Re: There's work, and then there's work

True holes are not nuclei. However, if IC's are mostly manufactured from
P type material and they contain many resistors, as I suspect, the most
common resistors would (will) have hole carriers rather than electrons.

bc

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

On Sunday, Jan 26, 2003, at 20:51 US/Eastern, David Rutherford asked:

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

More explicitly, what the students do in the lab is the following:
They measure the
slow discharge of the capacitor through a resistor, R. They record
the current at
regular time intervals, dt, say 5 seconds. They then graph the
current as a function
of time and obtain the total charge.

Why don't you assume that an equal amount of opposite charge flows in
the opposite direction? . . .

That assumptions would not be acceptable; we know that in materials
from which common resistors are made only electrons are free carriers.