Re: There's work, and then there's work

David Rutherford wrote:

Answer my first question, first:

"How do you propose to assemble a configuration, in the first place, if
the assembled charges keep flying off every time you bring in a new
one?"

I'd hold them so they don't move.

Then please show me how you determined that my result predicts that the
energy stored by a capacitor is CV^2. Show your work.

Fine. You double count the contribution of each charge to the total
energy. Therefore, since the correct answer is 1/2 CV^2, you get
CV^2.

I don't intend to expend any further bandwidth on this discussion.
I'll simply remind you that extraordinary claims require
extraordinary evidence. Successful new theories in physics must at
least make predictions that agree in every case where existing theory
is in agreement with experiment. However, since that alone confers
no advantage, they must also either be simpler or more beautiful than
existing theories and/or they must make predictions that are at odds
with current theory and in accord with experiment. Your "theory"
fails to meet the minimum requirement by not even agreeing in the
simplest and most well understood cases.

--
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajm@csupomona.edu