From: David Bowman [mailto:dbowman@TIGER.GEORGETOWNCOLLEGE.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 12:10 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Einstein vs Garrison Keiler

ng Bob S.'s question:

On today's (Jan 23) "Writer's Almanac" NPR program, Garrison
Keiler said:
"It's the birthday of experimental poet Louis Zukofsky, born
on the Lower
East Side of New York City in 1904. He once wrote, '
Everything should be
as simple as it can be...not simpler.' "

I always thought this was an Einstein quote. Can anyone add
info one way
or the other?

Interesting. I, as well, had always seen the quote attributed to
Einstein. I wonder who was first. One point of reference is that a
quick Google search on the phrase:

+"should be as simple as possible" +"but not simpler" +Einstein

yielded 652 hits. But a search on the phrase:

+"should be as simple as possible" +"but not simpler" +Zukofsky

yielded zero hits. Also a Google search on:

+"should be as simple as it can be...not simpler" +Zukofsky

yielded exactly 1 hit, and that was the MPR site for Keillor's
radio almanac.

David Bowman