Re: There's work, and then there's work

John Mallinckrodt wrote:

David Rutherford wrote:

While you're at it, check out my correction of the common definition of
work/energy at:

http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/enerdens.pdf

As has been pointed out here before in a thread beginning with

http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0209&L=phys-l&D=0&P=63677

Rutherford makes the elementary mistake of double counting
contributions to the total energy of a system of charges.

You make the elementary mistake of not counting the work necessary to
keep the charges that are already in position from flying away when new
charges are brought into the configuration. How do you propose to
assemble a configuration, in the first place, if the assembled charges
keep flying off every time you bring in a new one?

He "justifies" this by redefining the term "work" so that (what I'll
call) "Rutherford Work" is done even on point particles that do not
move. He does all of this without the least concern that his results
violate every relevant experimental result.

Like what? Please be specific.

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"

Applications:
"4/3 Problem Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf
"Action-reaction Paradox Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/actreact.pdf
"Energy Density Correction"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/enerdens.pdf
"Proposed Quantum Mechanical Connection"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/quantum.pdf