From: David Rutherford [mailto:drutherford@SOFTCOM.NET]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 1:09 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: A Geometrical Proof of the Non-invariance of the
Spacetime
Interval

"RAUBER, JOEL" wrote:

Continuing the dialog:

(In all my comments I assume that we are discussing events
as measured by
inertial reference frames.)

Suppose you have breakfast in Los Angeles then you
drive to San Diego
and have lunch there. Do you claim to have had
breakfast and lunch in
the same place?

Perhaps if we stick to this example we can get somewhere.

I claim that breakfast and lunch occur at different
locations (not the same
location).

Special relativity claims that you claim that breakfast
and lunch occur
at the same location.

It does? I am aware of no such requirement. I thought we
just stipulated
that breakfast was in LA and lunch was in San Diego?

According to relativity, from my viewpoint (in the earth
frame) you had
breakfast in Los Angeles and lunch in San Diego. But from
your viewpoint
(in you) you had breakfast in you and lunch in you (the same place). I
was just trying to point out that the way we actually view
things is not
the way that relativity says we view things.

The way we actually view things is the way we _should_ view
things (and
apparently, you agree). The time at which each of us actually
determines
the space and time interval between breakfast and lunch is at the time
of your lunch, since we have to wait until then to know what the
location and time of your lunch is. According to relativity,
at the time
of your lunch, if I am asked what is the location of your breakfast, I
say it's Los Angeles, but you say it's the location of you,
which is now
San Diego. Relativity puts the location of your breakfast in two
different places. That means that the location of your breakfast,
according to relativity, is not at the same place in spacetime.

Two events may or may not occur at the same location (same
location defined
as the same spatial coordinates at the two different times
as measured by a
*single* frame of reference. Note: this definition is frame
independent).

I also claim that the special relativistic space-time
interval between the
events of lunch and breakfast are the same as measured
in all inertial
reference frames.

Special relativity doesn't apply if you claim that
breakfast and lunch
occur at different locations.

I disagree with the above statement. The theory of special
relativity is
fully capable of handling the situation of two events
occuring at different
locations. (location defined as above).

I wasn't saying that special relativity doesn't give the same
spacetime
interval in all reference frames. That's not my argument. I'm saying
that, in special relativity, the lines between breakfast and lunch in
the two frames are the same length, but they don't coincide in
spacetime.

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"

Applications:
"4/3 Problem Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf
"Action-reaction Paradox Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/actreact.pdf
"Energy Density Correction"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/enerdens.pdf
"Proposed Quantum Mechanical Connection"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/quantum.pdf