ASU'S SUMMER GRAD COURSES FOR TEACHERS of the physical sciences

For summer 2003.
ASU'S SUMMER GRADUATE COURSES FOR TEACHERS of the PHYSICAL SCIENCES.

The Department of Physics and Astronomy at Arizona State University (ASU)
offers a summer program of courses designed for in-service
high school physics, physical science, chemistry, and math teachers.

Teachers may want to enroll in these courses to earn credit towards
re-certification, or to pursue an interdisciplinary
Master of Natural Science degree (MNS). Take one course or many!

A certification option exists for graduates in physics or engineering.

The NSF funded us for the next 3 years!
We provide stipends, free housing, & some free tuition.
Reply to <jane.jackson@asu.edu> if interested.

In summer 2002, 125 teachers (3/4 of whom don't have a degree in physics)
participated in 9 courses. They expressed high satisfaction!
They said:
"It opened my eyes to the involvement of physics in materials science."
"It has given me a NEW way of looking at how light interacts with matter."
"The experience of using the atomic force microscope was beyond my
expectations."
"I will use more fundamental math...use applets and some of the VQM programs."

SUMMER 2003 COURSES:
5 Modeling Workshops in mechanics, 2nd semester content, & physical science.
Energy & Environment
Integrated Math & Physics
Integrated Physics & Chemistry
Matter and Light
Light & Electron Optics
Spacetime Physics
Leadership workshop

Most courses are taught by regular ASU faculty and Teaching Associates (TAs),
expert high school teachers who help develop activities for the H.S. classroom.

Two summer terms: June 16-July 3, July 7 - Aug. 8, 2003.

Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> and scroll down to "ASU's grad program..."
for details. Bookmark the website for future reference.

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>