Re: Simple machine question?

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
My question is, should the weight of =
the hangers and the meter stick itself be considered when calculating=
AMA?

With no authority in this, my gut tells me that these parts of the machine
are contributing positively to lifting the load and should be included. It
is much like if a second person were to help. One would have to be careful
to properly identify the point of application, it seems.

If so, are the retarding forces part of the load? They account for the
difference in IMA and AMA, I believe so I would leave them out of the
load.

Ken Fox