Re: COLD FUSION

When I was somewhat smaller I read a book about early fringe science and
their (then) current status. It examined several theories and their
proponents. Some ridiculed at first are now (then) "mainstream", e.g.
continental drift (the only one I remember).

My favo. (tho. may not have been in that book) is N rays. Belief in those
rays was inversely proportional to the distance from its proponent. Its
popularity was possible due to the recent discovery and examination of
X-rays. N rays died, belatedly, when its "discoverer" died.

A Dr. friend married to a German Dr. told me that manipulation is part of
the Std. medical training there.

I take Bob's point well and suggest that it should be extended to
allopathy. Just because their germ "theory", etc. has had such great
success doesn't meant all their practice is valid. One example
(peripherally already discussed here) is spinal fusion. Just because an
X-ray and NMRI indicate arthritis doesn't mean surgery is indicated. A
recent New Yorker "Annals of Medicine" article discussed this in detail. I
was scheduled for cervical fusion when my wife and a friend told me to get
a second opinion. I asked a Dr. friend who replied that he wouldn't let
a surgeon near his neck until he'd tried everything else including
acupuncture and Yoga. He recommended a colleague (both studied Yoga from
the same teacher in India). I never felt better than after that hour
session and have had no relapse. He also recommended reading a book by Dr.
Sarno, who has a theory for the effectiveness of the Yoga exercises.

Curiously, I don't think Chiropractic or Acupuncture claim to cure
smallpox, but surgeons claim to cure back pain, and don't forget that
inoculation is homeopathy.

bc

bc

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

What makes the AE area different from voodoo science?

1) Large number (several hundred) cooperating scientists
in about 10 countries are actively involved.

cut

It occurred to me that your list describes actions very similar to those
of some modern day chiropractors. They have abandoned "subluxions" and
many of the other irreproducible concepts from early chiropractic theory
and have concentrated on lower back manipulation where they have
verifiable success (i.e., they have become Physical Therapists.) Does
this then legitimize the whole field of chiropractic, including those
practitioners who still cling to the older theories?

I agree that a name change from Cold Fusion to AE is a good step
forward. But even if AE is found to be real and based on physical law,
does it legitimize the old "Cold Fusion"? We'll never see a paper
published that will make Astrology scientific. AE might produce such a
paper - so it's probably best to stay away from the label "Voodoo" and
simply accept it as fringe science for the time being - especially since
so much of the work is open for peer review.

Bob at PC