Re: unexpected obstacles

On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 12:36 PM, B. Esser wrote:

There is also some evidence that boys and girls respond in different
ways
to failure. "Boys and girls view academic failure very differently.
Boys
often attribute their failures to lack of trying. Girls are more
likely to
attribute their failures to a simple lack of ability" (1) Psychologists
call this "effort attribution". (2) Since most of the cited studies
occured in the 80's it would be interesting to see if a decade of
"self-esteem" edubabble has resulted in both genders thinking as Scott
indicates above.

Thanks. I had read this study, but never integrated it into the
observations I had been making.

We needed to reinforce that the opportunity
existed for everyone to be successful .... if everyone hit the cup on
the
first try, everyone received an "A".

You bet. The theme is _always_ humans vs. nature, not student vs.
student.

For lab writeups and other labs that are not outcome based we provide
our
students with a "what constitutes a great lab report" example,

Would you be willing to share this document? I have a lab guideline I
hand out as well, but yours sounds much more interesting.

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy