Re: unexpected obstacles

Please, don't blame the high schools! I am at an independent school
(private, steep tuition) and we see the same thing. We are working on
changing the physics curriculum (junior required course) to promote
experiment design to test hypothesis and generality of conclusions. I
am working on the premise that we need to force kids to step from
concrete (and safe) thinking to abstract (and risk taking) thought
processes. We hammer at the notion that procedural error (and
limitation of equipment) is a fact of life and that the student is
responsible for minimizing uncertainty in the result to a level
commensurate with procedural/equipment limits.

On the other hand, can the higher education infatuation with SAT and
GPA in admissions be contributing to this? "Get the score and get in"
thinking is endemic in my school, despite our significant efforts to
the contrary. What would happen if college science departments made
evaluation of a HS lab notebook (real time notes and not a copied,
perfected, and clean version) part of the admissions process in lieu
of SAT scores? More work for you (and me)? yes. A better chance to
enforce the need to think on the student's part? Perhaps.

Ed Eckel
The Bullis School
Potomac, MD