Re: Good Resources for Thought Provoking Physics Questions

Context-rich problems:

http://groups.physics.umn.edu/physed/Research/CRP/crintro.html

UMD PERG problems

http://www.physics.umd.edu/perg/problems.htm

Physlet problems

http://webphysics.davidson.edu/physlet_resources/default.htm

AT

On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 01:56 PM, Matt Harding wrote:

I am a third year high school physics teacher, and I frequently have
trouble developing what I consider to be thought provoking physics
questions. I was wondering if anyone out there could suggest some go=
od
widely available resources that contain a variety of "non-chug-and-pl=
ug"
problems and questions relating to physics. =20

For example, in our current unit on STR, we did a set involving a
variety of problems related to time dilation. Most of the set consis=
ted
of "here are parts a, b, and c, put them into the stated formula and
find part d", at which point I worry that it just breaks down into a
math worksheet. I did locate a "thought provoking question" in an ol=
text book (Bueche, Principles of Physics, 5th edition),=20

"Suppose the speed of light were only 20 m/s, and all
relativistic results applied when this speed was used for c. Discuss
how our lives would be changed."

To me, that's a fantastic divergent question. Unfortunately, I hav=
e a
heck of a time coming up with stuff like that on my own. =20

=20

They don't even necessarily have to be divergent. I like questions
where a little substitution is involved. In other words, the student=
are required to manipulate several equations in order to get the desi=
red
answer. I'm not expecting a "Higher Order Physics Questions for
Dummies", but I'm not aware of any "good" resources other than my
growing collection of old physics text books.

=20

Thanks,

Matt Harding

Iowa City West High School