Re: Ask Marilyn "geometry test"

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
(b) I would look to see if the alternate method really has some
generality to it, or is just a fluke, a memory trick, or right for
the wrong reasons.

I believe this is the essential move!

(c) It would probably also depend on how the question was worded. If
I said, "Use Kepler's laws to ..." I might still accept an alternate
solution, but only if it were tied to Kepler's three laws.

This is so reminiscent of the apocryphal story about the student who
thought outside the box when asked " Using a barometer, determine the
height of this building." If we ask fuzzy questions then we have to be
ready for correct answers that were not what we had anticipated.

I hold this for ALL levels of education. It is thinking and conceptual
development that we must seek.