Re: Bernoulli and viscosity

Robert Cohen wrote:

The 2000-2001 Physics Olympiad preparation exam (mechanics) has a
question in which water comes out of a bullet hole in a water tower.

The solution...

is a little overly complicated but essentially it calculates the
difference in pressure

What means "overly" complicated?

Fluid dynamics is very complicated.

Check out The Feynman Lectures on Physics volume II
section 40-3. For an unadorned bullet-hole in a tank
Feynman says "we are not able to calculate" the efflux
(even in the absence of significant viscosity).
If anybody can show me a simple solution to this
problem I'm going to be verrrrrrry impressed.

Even in the absence of viscosity, it's tricky to
get the energy balance _and_ the momentum balance
right. The typical naive approach is to overlook
one or the other -- resulting in a plausible but
quite wrong answer.

I believe this problem is discussed in some detail
in Lamb, _Hydrodyamics_ but I can't cite chapter
and verse (my copy seems to have walked off).

The appearance of this problem on the test
probably reflects the ignorance of the test-makers
more than anything else. No undergrad is going to
work it out from first principles in the time
alotted, so it is at best a check on whether
the student remembers reading about it.