Re: PDF files

Thats been my experience also. The text comes out fine in the Mac
environment, but the pictures are another matter.

joe

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002,
Chuck Britton wrote:

Last night I put my wife to work on a password protected pdf. I have
the password but it was further 'protected' to not allow selection,
cut etc. It included inline graphics. She used Acrobat to transfer
the text into M$ Word and the diagrams were pulled out separately
(not sure what the format of the pic's was.)

She shuffled the text and pic's back together but didn't wrap the
text as the original version did. (M$ Word doesn't do that very
reliably - was her comment).

Ludwik asked:

Chuck Britton wrote:

> 'DeCoding' a pdf file can be done with the full version of Adobe
> Acrobat.

Hmmmm. It depends. PDF is sort of a catch-all format,
various formats mixed together. You can have text
represented as text, in which case it is relatively
easy to "decode" into plain text ... or you could have
a bitmap, which could be a line drawing or an _image
of text_ in which case nothing short of OCR will do.

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. 574-284-4662
Associate Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556