Re: heat, centrifugal force, etc.

John Barrer wrote:

Would ... be satisfied
if we (in HS) said "There is no such thing as
centrifugal force in our usual reference frame"?

Could I plead for a slightly different wording?
1) IMHO "usual" is a bit vague, and
2) There are advantages to saying where it
does exist, not just where it doesn't.

How about:

"Centrifugal force exists in a rotating reference
frame and not otherwise. Such frames are fairly
common, but analyzing them is beyond the scope of
the discussion right now. Ask again in ___ months."

Or something like that????

In general, there's a big difference between
++ XXX is beyond the scope of the discussion.
-- XXX does not exist.