PDF files

I just discovered something useful; I can create a PDF
file without having Adobe Acrobat on my Mac. This is
likely to be true for any Mac under the new operating
system, Mac OS-X .

I am probably discovering what many of you already
know. But let me share it. Any native OS-X application
which has a PRINT command will probably allow me
to save a file (text or picture) in the PDF format. But I
only tried this in AppleWorks 6.

1) I created a text document and selected the familiar
PRINT AS ... command. The dialog of this command
now has a new button SAVE AS PDF ... Instead of
clicking on PRINT I clicked on that new button.

2) The next dialog box prompted me for the file name
and for the location (where to save). I entered this
information and pressed the SAVE button. The file
test1 was created at once on my desktop.

3) Then I used the graphic component of AppleWorks 6
to draw a simple picture. I saved that picture as test2 file
in the same way as above.

4) I suppose that the pdf extension must be manually
added before sending such files to those who use
Windows machines.

5) Is it possible to turn a pdf file back into an editable text?
If so then please explain how. Print+Scan+OCR (optical
character recognition) is too demanding for this.
Ludwik Kowalski