Re: Meauring Volts?

On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 15:35:59 -0500 "John S. Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>
writes:

> A precision of language should aid in the precision of thought.

We can all agree about that!
(Even if we don't agree on what the precisely
correct language is.)

I, personally, DO NOT AGREE with the above statement.
Recall that we use a convention of "significant figures" to indicate the
precision of any measurement.. Saying that any measurement,
language, or even a thought can be "precise" goes counter to all
that we have been trying to teach our students.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where absolute precision is unobtainable ..... even on this
list-serve))