Re: hydraulic jack

I think an ed. house sells a demo. One may easily be made from two
syringes connected by tygon tubing.

If you desire a "real world" demo., get master and slave brake cylinders
from a junk yard. If I remember correctly from rebuilding my VW ones 40
years ago, they are "simple", like syringes. I'll bet they'll give you a
teacher discount.

bc who got a free water heater temp. controlled gas valve this way.

Robert Cohen wrote:

A student of mine was thinking about hydraulic systems and brought in=
his floor jack. We measured the diameter of the input and output pi=
stons and the distance each moved during one pass. We hoped that the=
total volume would be the same, i.e., pi r2 h of one would equal pi =
r2 h of the other, where h is the distance each piston moved during o=
ne pass. However, the output volume is 20-25% greater.

Anyone know what we're missing?

Robert Cohen; rcohen@po-box.esu.edu; 570-422-3428; http://www.esu.edu=
/~bbq
Physics, East Stroudsburg Univ., E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301