Re: Surface charge distribution

Hasan writes:

-----Original Message-----
From: Fakhruddin, Hasanbhai [mailto:hfakhrud@BSU.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 2:23 PM

1. If the point charge inside is +q will the total charge on the outer
surface be +q (and the charge on the cavity wall be -q)?

Yes - charge must be conserved.

2. Assume that the point charge is close to the cavity surface. Now
if we increase the radius of the sphere (keeping the point charge at the
same distance from the cavity surface) the charge density on the outer
surface will decrease (right?) When the radius becomes infinity the part
of conducting sphere close to the point charge becomes a conducting
plate. The E-field on the other side of the plate will become ZERO
because the charge density on the plate will be zero! Is that correct?

Essentially, yes. I'd quibble on the language and suggest that as the shell
radius gets very large, the outer surface charge density approaches zero.
My students are so enamored with numbers they can enter on their calculators
that abstractions like "infinity" slip right by them.

"My idea of an agreeable person is a
person who agrees with me."
--Benjamin Disraeli
George Spagna